Valpo finishes plan for next roundabout
By James D. WOlf Jr. Post-Tribune correspondent October 11, 2012 4:12PM
Updated: November 13, 2012 6:29AM
VALPARAISO — The city has completed plans for constructing a two-lane roundabout at five points intersection, and in spring construction should begin where Calumet Avenue, Roosevelt Road and Vale Park Road meet.
The Board of Works on Thursday approved sending the 81-page plan to the Indiana Department of Transportation, in time for a Oct. 21 deadline for federal funding.
City Engineer Tim Burkman said INDOT should do bid for contracts for the work in February, and construction should begin in March or April. It will finish in fall, although Burkman wouldn’t estimate a more precise date.
The city took two years to plan what will be its largest roundabout to improve traffic at the often congested intersection.
“The purpose of the project is to improve safety and reduce emissions,” and studies at the other roundabouts show it’ll do that, Burkman said.
Some businesses will need to move their signs, but none will have to relocate or close, and Calumet will remain open, if somewhat constricted, during the entire project.
Burkman said the project has three phases:
During the first phase, Roosevelt will have two lanes as the workers build the new Roosevelt in a sweeping curve towards the east, taking over some of the parking spaces in the strip mall on the east side.
During the second phase, the city will shut down Roosevelt and the east approach of Vale Park. Calumet will become two lanes and have traffic shifted to its west. The Vale Park detour will run north on Silhavy Road and east on Country Club Road to Calumet, and the Roosevelt detour will be west on Glendale Boulevard to Calumet.
During the third phase, the west approach of Vale Park Road will shut down at the intersection, and traffic on Calumet will use a newly paved part of that road. Detours will be along Glendale and Bullseye Lake Road.
The project will cost $2.15 million, with a federal Highway Safety Improvement Program grant covering 90 percent of costs. The Valparaiso Redevelopment Commission will cover the remaining 10 percent.
After this, the city has one major road project planned: Work on Burlington Beach Road that includes improving the intersection at Calumet and making improvements around Indiana 49. That could begin in 2014 or 2015, Burkman said.