Murder trial delayed for man accused of killing Griffith woman in Gary
Post-Tribune staff report December 10, 2012 4:10PM
Updated: January 12, 2013 6:17AM
The jury trial for a Gary man facing life without parole if convicted of murder in the death of a Griffith woman has been postponed until May 6.
Defense attorney T. Edward Page sought the delay on behalf of Robert Lewis III because the mitigation specialist and investigator on the public defender’s staff who are assisting him in the case need more time to complete their tasks. Both are involved in other high-profile cases, including another life without parole case and a capital murder case.
Lewis, 40, has pleaded not guilty to murder in the death of Jennifer Kocsis, 37, whose body was found April 2, 2011, outside Riley School in Gary. She suffered blunt force trauma to the head and chest.
Witnesses told police they saw Kocsis at Pepe’s in Griffith, where she sang karaoke, then told her friend she was going to give a guy a ride home. A witness told police they saw Lewis leave with Kocsis, whose family was in court Monday when Lake Superior Court Judge Diane Ross Boswell agreed to delay the trial. The case had been set for trial starting Jan. 14.
Deputy prosecutor Catherine Breitweiser-Hurst said she is prepared for trial and the family wants the case to be concluded.
Page said the case had been assigned to other attorneys before it was assigned to him.