City lowers Sheraton demolition estimate
By Carole Carlson firstname.lastname@example.org/302-0949 September 18, 2013 7:40PM
Mark Halloway (left), a consultant from SME answers a contractor's question inside the old Sheraton Hotel in Gary, IN on Tuesday September 17, 2013. | Jim Karczewski\For Sun-Times Media
Updated: October 20, 2013 7:36AM
GARY — A day after contractors toured the soon-to-be demolished Sheraton Hotel, the city backtracked on the estimate to tear it down.
Redevelopment Department Director Joseph Van Dyk said Wednesday the estimate for demolition is about $1.5 million, or $1 million less than previously announced.
Van Dyk said the estimate was revised after final bid specifications were prepared.
The bids are due Oct. 16 and a contract could be awarded by the Redevelopment Commission on Oct. 30.
The city hopes to demolish the 14-story hotel in November.
Contractors from across the country toured the gutted interior of the 42-year-old hotel Tuesday, taking notes and photographs for their bids.
Early into her first year in office last year, Mayor Karen Freeman-Wilson set her sights on the hotel’s demolition. She hoped to have it knocked down last year, but funding didn’t come together.