Carbon monoxide killed Merrillville family: police
SUN-TIMES MEDIA WIRE October 16, 2013 10:30PM
Two adults and two children were found dead Wednesday in this home in the 800 block of West 70th Avenue in Merrillville. Carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected, according to police. | Karen Caffarini/For the Post-Tribune
Updated: October 17, 2013 1:17PM
MERRILLVILLE — A family of four found dead Wednesday in a home in Merrillville apparently died of carbon monoxide poisoning, police said Thursday morning.
Micheal Nichols, 41, Kennetha Purnell, 38, Morgan Nichols, 11, and Matthew Nichols, 13, were all pronounced dead shortly after 7 p.m. Wednesday after they were found in a home in the 800 block of 70th Avenue, according to the Lake County Coroner’s office.
Officers conducting a welfare check about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday found all four dead in the home, according to a statement from the Merrillville Police Department.
Police believe all four people died from carbon monoxide poisoning, police said.
The family was moving into the home and did not have the power turned on, police said.
A gas generator in the home’s attached garage had cords attached to “various electronics” in the home, police said. All of the home’s exterior doors and windows were closed.
None of the four was found with injuries and their causes of death were still pending Thursday morning, according to the coroner’s office.