Weather Updates

One dead, three wounded after home invasion in Black Oak neighborhood

This home Gary's Black Oak neighborhood was scene melee Dec. 1 thended with one man dead two brothers wounded. |

This home in Gary's Black Oak neighborhood was the scene of a melee Dec. 1 that ended with one man dead and two brothers wounded. | Post-Tribune file

storyidforme: 58703195
tmspicid: 21373680
fileheaderid: 10051957
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: January 4, 2014 6:22AM

GARY — Masked gunmen stormed into a home in Black Oak late Sunday, wounding two brothers and killing a third man.

One suspect, Mark Cherry, 21, of Lake Station, was also seriously wounded when he and the brothers, Elias Martinez, 24, and Anthony Martinez, 23, struggled for control of a handgun. Cherry was flown to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, Ill. where he was admitted to the intensive care unit, police said.

The series of events that led to the death of Rolando Correa, 22, is not clear, police said. Interviews with witnesses and victims were still ongoing Monday evening. Correa was found outside 2854 King St., not far from the scene of the home invasion, police records state.

“It’s chaotic,” King said of the scene. Police were interviewing victims at the different hospitals where they were taken for treatment.

It began about 11:56 p.m., as the intruders knocked on the front door of the Martinez home in the 6200 block of W. 29th Ave. Anthony Martinez went outside to see who was there and was confronted by two gunmen, who forced him back into the house. He was held at gunpoint by one man while another went into another room and found Elias Martinez.

Both brothers were shot, but managed to struggle with Cherry, wounding him with his own weapon, police said.

Correa may have been outside when he was shot. Investigators believe he heard the gunfire and was on his way to assist the brothers when he was wounded. Other family members, including Correa’s young daughter, were next door in a yellow house identical to the scene of the home invasion. The homes are owned by the same person, police said.

The intruders left with Cherry and loaded him in a car and drove around the corner, but then fled, leaving Cherry and another man close to the scene.

Police arrested the man who was with Cherry and he was being held for questioning.

Cherry was on probation after pleading guilty to robbery last year. He had been released from Westville Correctional Center.

Detective Cpl. Michael Barnes is investigating the incident. Anyone with information can call him at 881-7434.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.