Vendors get extension on bids for E-911 equipment
By Carrie Napoleon Post-Tribune correspondent December 19, 2013 11:25PM
ST. JOHN — Vendors will get a little more time to submit their proposals for the technology and equipment for Lake County’s consolidated E-911 dispatch center.
Brian Hitchcock, E-911 director, said officials decided to extend the deadline by a couple weeks after it took a little longer than expected to answer the flood of questions generated from a pre-bid meeting earlier this month.
One of the main questions raised was whether vendors who currently do not provide the technology compatible with the second phase of the P25 industry standard but could do so by the FCC mandated Jan. 1, 2017 deadline could bid.
Hitchcock said the specifications would be changed to allow those companies to bid, but the bid would have to include how much it would cost to install Phase I and then transition into Phase II.
Roosevelt Allen Jr., who represents the commissioners on the board, said the change would enable more of the vendors to participate in the full project.
He said the three largest vendors participating in the process are able to meet the specifications.
Currently Motorola is the only vendor with certified operational Phase II equipment in use.
Frank Galvin with Motorola Systems, one of several vendors in the audience, said he fears his company has been painted in a negative light as the only vendor who could provide the equipment.
“The reality is it was a business opportunity. We invested in the technology when it first came out. Other companies chose not to. Don’t penalize our company that had the forethought to invest early,” he said.
Wednesday the commissioners approved changing the deadline for submission of the bids and called for a mandatory meeting with vendors Jan. 6 for a final round of questions.