Enbridge says pipeline work proceeding as quickly as possible
BY KAREN CAFFARINI Post-Tribune correspondent December 22, 2013 1:38PM
Updated: January 24, 2014 6:15AM
HOBART — An Enbridge spokeswoman has apologized for any inconvenience its $1.5 billion pipeline replacement project caused city residents.
But some inconvenience was unavoidable, Jennifer Smith said at last week’s Hobart City Council meeting.
Crews work long hours, occasionally overnight, because some processes can’t be stopped until completed.
“We need to de-water the pipe, for instance, 24 hours a day,” Smith said.
Smith said they try to keep roads clean of mud and dirt from construction by using four street sweepers.
“I apologize and ask for your continued understanding. We’re trying to get this done as quickly and safely as possible,” she said.
Mayor Brian Snedecor said Enbridge has been responsive to his office when called with concerns. He said complaints have mostly regarded noise, dirty roads and bright lights at night.
Smith said the project has been going smoothly.
She hopes all the pipeline will be buried before workers go on break for the holidays. When they return after the first of the year, she said they will be doing horizontal drills, x-rays and ultrasonic testing of the lines.
“We hope to have all safety tests done by March 1,” she said.
The pipeline will carry crude from Canada to Midwest refineries, including the BP refinery in Whiting.
In other matters, the council named Councilman P. Lino Maggio, D-3rd, chair of the ordinance committee and Matt Claussen, D, at-large, to the fire department committee.
The council also approved new ordinances regarding property maintenance and electronic signs. The new sign ordinance allows electronic signs with animation and motion.