New Southlake mall signs must be up by June
BY KAREN CAFFARINI Post-Tribune correspondent January 7, 2014 4:22PM
Updated: February 9, 2014 6:26AM
HOBART — The Board of Zoning Appeals is allowing the new owners of Southlake Mall up to 160 days in which to replace the 11 current temporary signs with permanent ones, saying the alternative — bare pylons — would be a worse scenario.
City code allows temporary signs for only 15 days.
Laurie Paquette, of Chicago-based Van Bruggen Signs Inc., told the board that under the sales agreement with former owners, the Westfield Group based in Australia, the previous signs bearing the Westfield name had to come down immediately.
“The mall was heavily branded with Westfield,” Paquette said.
The mall was sold to Connecticut-based Starwood Group in September for $1.6 billion. The deal was closed in November, at which time the former signs, which are of various sizes and placed around the 7.2 acres on which the mall sits, were covered with temporary banners.
Paquette said time was needed to design, make and install the new signs. Weather also is a consideration, she said.
Paquette said she saw no problem meeting the deadline as far as the sign is concerned, but wondered if the brick work that will be part of it would be done in time.
The board pointed out the extension was granted for 160 days from the date of the meeting, which was held last week, giving Starwood until early June to have the new signs installed.