posttrib
SLIDING 
Weather Updates

Baseball: Andrean’s fast start dooms Dwenger

Gary Andrean celebrate during actiIHSAA 3A baseball Semi-State Saturday June 14 2014 Plymouth Semi-State Plymouth Ind. Phoby Joe Raymond ~For

Gary Andrean celebrate during action in the IHSAA 3A baseball Semi-State Saturday, June 14, 2014 at Plymouth Semi-State in Plymouth, Ind. Photo by Joe Raymond ~For Sun-Times Media

storyidforme: 67824028
tmspicid: 24146614
fileheaderid: 11916264
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: July 16, 2014 6:43AM

PLYMOUTH — This is the definition of a team victory.

Every batter in Andrean’s starting lineup reached base the first time through in Saturday’s Class 3A semistate game against Fort Wayne Bishop Dwenger.

When the top of the first finally ended, the 59ers had six runs. And the No. 1 team in Class 3A was well on its way to the state title game.

All nine batters in Andrean’s starting lineup had at least one hit as the 59ers beat the Saints 18-2 in a five-inning game at Bill Nixon Field. Andrean collected 18 hits. The 59ers (30-4) put the game away with nine runs in the fourth inning.

“We just clicked today,” said Parker Huttel, who drove in four runs. “We always do real well, but today we were hitting the ball really well. Everyone was. It felt really good.”

Huttel finished with two hits. Nick Podkul had three hits and one RBI. Chase Dawson had two singles and three RBI. Kevin McCune and Alex Vode also had two hits. Andrean will play Gibson Southern next weekend at Victory Field in Indianapolis. The time and date will be announced later. It will be Andrean’s first appearance in the state final since 2010.

“It’s exciting to get back to Victory Field. It seems like it’s been a long time, it really does,” Andrean coach Dave Pishkur said. “Once you get there and once you win it, you are always striving to get back again. It feels really good. I’m so excited for the team. These guys practiced hard, they worked hard. They are competitive kids.”

Matt DeSomer allowed four hits in four innings for the victory. He received ample offensive support, beginning with the big first inning.

“It took the nerves a little down,” DeSomer said. “It felt really good that the offense came out that hot.”

Dawson, McCune, Jamie Johnson and Donovan Chandler each had one RBI in the first. Huttel drove in two runs.

“Before we left the school today, I got some more swings, so I was actually really confident. I felt really good about what I could do,” Huttel said.

Andrean tacked on three runs in the second. Huttel drove in two with a double. David Cox had an RBI single.

The 59ers hit three doubles during the nine-run fourth inning. Pinch hitter Patrick Terry had a two-run double in the inning.

One inning later, the 59ers celebrated moving on to the final weekend of the season.

“This is something you dream about as a kid,” Huttel said. “Going to state in high school. It’s crazy. It hasn’t even set in yet.”

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.