Injured ArcelorMittal contractor released from hospital
Post-Tribune staff report April 11, 2013 11:54AM
Updated: May 13, 2013 6:26AM
EAST CHICAGO — One of two men seriously injured in a natural gas deflagration April 3 at ArcelorMittal Indiana Harbor’s No. 3 blast furnance has been released from the hospital.
The two men are independent contractors with Hammond-based AMEX-Nooter, according to a spokesman with ArcelorMittal. A second man was airlifted to a Chicago hospital.
Sources said the job to which the two men were assigned had been canceled, but they weren’t told. They’d cut through a gas line near a heater that exploded and burned wiring to both furnaces.
“While one individual has been released from the hospital, both remain in our thoughts and prayers, and we are hopeful for a quick and complete recovery, the spokesman said. “The health and safety of our employees and contractors remains our No. 1 priority.”
The incident caused temporary outage of the No. 3 and No. 4 blast furnaces, but the company anticipates no disruption of service to its customers, the spokesman said.