posttrib
ADMIRABLE 
Weather Updates

3 quarters just enough for CP

Crown Point's Taylor EquihuSarah Rivich before game against East Chicago Saturday November 24 2012. | Mark Smith~Sun-Times Media

Crown Point's Taylor Equihua and Sarah Rivich before a game against East Chicago on Saturday, November 24, 2012. | Mark Smith~Sun-Times Media

storyidforme: 40570388
tmspicid: 15031999
fileheaderid: 6842675

Crown Point 61, EC 52

CROWN POINT (2-3) 20-12-12-17 = 61

EAST CHICAGO (2-4) 6-13-9-24 == 52

11-24-12, in East Chicago

CROWN POINT (6-1) Hannah Albrecht 1-1-3, Sarah Rivich 4-1-9, Katija Tarailo 2-3-7, Taylor Equihua 4-5-13, Abby Kvachkoff 5-5-17, Katie Howarth 3-0-6, Miranda Elish 1-0-2, Ashley Cunningham 1-2-4, Rachel Honaker 0-0-0. TOTALS: 21 (17-24) 61.

EAST CHICAGO (52) Dari Ricks 5-5-17, Tiajanay Hawkins 4-3-11, Cheyenne White 5-2-12, Denitra Brown 3-0-6, Laniah Davis 1-1-3, Kajah Wilson 1-0-3, Alicia Jackson 0-0-0, Kania Clark 0-0-0. TOTALS: 19 (11-16) 52.

FREE THROWS: CP (17-24, 70.8%) Kvachkoff 5-5, Equihua 5-8, Tarailo 3-3, Cunningham 2-4, Rivich 1-2, Albrecht 1-2; EC (11-16, 68.8%) Ricks 5-6, Hawkins 3-4, White 2-4, Davis 1-2.

REBOUNDS: CP (34) Equihua 14, Tarailo 6, Kvachkoff 4, Honaker 3, Howarth 3, Cunningham 2, Rivich, Albrecht. EC (33) Hawkins 15, White 6, Davis 4, Brown 4, Ricks 3, Wilson.

ASSISTS: CP ( 11) Albrecht 3, Kvachkoff 3, Rivich 2, Tarailo, Cunningham, Equihua. EC (7) Brown 3, Hawkins 2, Ricks 2.

STEALS: CROWN POINT (11) Albrecht 5, Cunningham 2, Kvachkoff 2, Rivich, Honaker; EC (14) Ricks 5, Davis 3, Hawkins 2, Brown 2, Wilson, White.

FOULED OUT: EC (1) Dari Ricks (4th Q) :28 left.

3-GOALS: CP (2) Abby Kvachkoff 2; EC (3) Dari Ricks 2, Kajah Wilson.

Chesterton 52, crown Point 50

CHESTERTON (2-2) 14 12 11 15 - 52

CROWN POINT (1-3) 10 13 12 15 - 50

11-21-12, DAC in Crown Point

CHESTERTON (52) Sarah Richards 3-2-9, Kelsey Conway 1-0-2, Kassidy Scott 2-0-5, Hannah McCafferty 2-0-5, Caroline Puntillo 6-3-16, Jocelyn Lipscomb 5-0-14, Haley Sekula 0-1-1, McKenzie Sullivan 0-0-0, Mary Mochen 0-0-0. TOTALS: 19 (6-20) 52.

CROWN POINT (50) Hannah Albrecht 1-0-2, Abby Kvachkoff 3-0-6, Taylor Equihua 4-2-10, Katie Howarth 1-3-5, Sarah Rivich 1-0-2, Katija Tarailo 10-1-21, Ashley Cunningham 1-0-2, Miranda Elish 0-0-0. TOTALS: 21 (8-12) 50.

FREE THROWS: CHESTERTON (6-20, 30%) Richards 2-5, Puntillo 3-7, Sekula 1-2, Lipscomb 0-3, Scott 0-3.

CROWN POINT (8-12, 66.7%) Howarth 3-4, Equihua 2-2, Honaker 2-3, Tarailo 1-3.

REBOUNDS: CHESTERTON (22) Puntillo 7, Lipscomb 5, Conway 4, Sekula 4, McCaffery 2, Scott.

CROWN POINT (38) Equihua 10, Tarailo 7, Kvachkoff 7, Cunningham 5, Albrecht 4, Rivich 2, Howarth 2, Honaker.

ASSISTS: CHESTERTON (12) Richards 7, Lipscomb 2, Conway 2, Puntillo. CROWN POINT (14) Albrecht 5, Cunningham 3, Equihua 3, Rivich 2, Tarailo.

STEALS: CHESTERTON (14) Richards 4, Conway 2,McCafferty 2, Puntillo 2, Sekula 2, Scott Lipscomb; CROWN POINT (10) Rivich 2, Cunningham 2, Equihua 2, Albrecht, Honaker, Tarailo, Howarth.

3-GOALS: CHESTERTON (8) Jocelyn Lipscomb 4, Sarah Richards, Kassidy Scott, Hannah McCafferty, Caroline Puntillo.

Article Extras
Story Image

EAST CHICAGO — Crown Point’s Lady Bulldogs headed up to East Chicago last Saturday looking for a little excitement.

“Thrilling” was not what CP folks would call a 1-3 start, which included a couple of games they should have won.

When CP led 20-6 after one quarter and held a 46-28 lead with 7:15 left in the game Saturday, it looked like the mission had been accomplished.

Then East Chicago decided it just couldn’t let it go like that.

After a final seven minutes of turnovers, bad passes, missed free throws and play more entertaining than excellent, CP rode the happy bus home with a much-needed 61-52 win.

“Today we took a little step forward,” said CP coach Anne Equihua, relieved to get the win after the game. “In pressure situations, the last couple of games, we didn’t handle the situation well. Today, we still panicked a little and we did get crazy. But we got it back together and won. Baby steps.”

It was a reluctant thriller. Trailing 46-28, EC outscored the visitors 17-6, forcing a CP time out with 4:28 to play and the score 52-45.

Crown Point, which had 27 turnovers in the game, also was just 11 of 18 on free throws in the final period.

Consecutive baskets by EC’s 6-foot-1 freshman Cheyenne White cut the lead to 54-49 with 2:39 to go.

But Taylor Equihua made two foul shots for a seven point lead with 1:49 left and single free shots by Equihua and CP guard Hannah Albrecht upped the lead to 58-50 with :49 seconds left.

After an offensive rebound basket by EC’s 5-foot-10 sophomore forward Tiajanay Hawkins cut the lead to 58-52, three foul shots from Abby Kvachkoff and Katija Tarailo ended the scoring in the final 20 seconds.

Before the final quarter, it had been a happy holiday for CP. Kvachkoff scored 15 of her 17 points in the first half, including two three point shots.

Guard Sarah Rivich had three assists and Albrecht had three steals. The Cardinals seemed a step slow.

But EC, which had several seniors playing major roles for the first time, found some urgency late in the afternoon and made the game close, which is probably better for CP in the long run.

“I like playing East Chicago,” said coach Equihua. “I’m glad we could add them to the schedule. Coach (Eric Kundich) does a great job with them. They’re quick and it’s good preparation for us when we play Merrillville and Michigan City — quick teams that pressure the ball.”

EC’s coaches recognized the obvious. The final quarter was much different than the first three.

“We just had that discussion in the locker room,” he said in the hallway after the game Saturday. “I’ve answered this same question in each of our four losses. We play in spurts. We’re inexperienced with just three varsity girls back from last year. We’ll be Okay. I hope.”

EC’s freshman-sophomore forward duo of the 6-1 White and 5-10 Hawkins combined for 23 points and 21 rebounds, but Hawkins especially did a lot of that in the fourth quarter.

You probably want to play EC now before Hawkins figures out how much she can do every game.

“She’s young and I don’t think she understands about being our floor leader and go-to scorer,” said Kundich. “I don’t think she is comfortable with that as of yet. A lot of college coaches are waiting for her to get comfortable with that.

“She dislocated her shoulder in sectional championship last year and she’s still a little tentative. She has that ability and she sometimes just doe snot take advantage of it.”

The surprise for CP this season has been Taylor Equihua, who has played very little with knee problems the last two seasons. The 5-foot-10 senior had 13 points and 14 rebounds against the younger but taller EC front line.

The coach’s daughter had 10 points and 11 rebounds against Portage in the third game of the year, 10 points and 10 rebounds in the fourth game against Chesterton, and the 13-point, 14-rebound game Saturday.

“And the great thing is that lately it’s been everybody,” said coach Equihua. “Abby shooting. Taylor rebounding. Everybody’s involved. Katija scored 21 the other night.

“More than half of this game is confidence. And when you have that, you’re not afraid to take the ball to the basket. You don’t think. You just play.”

“It feels good,” said Taylor, who has seen her confidence level rise. “Our team is really close and we’re all contributing. It’s easier for us when we have good underclassmen.

“My knee? I don’t think about it. Just being able to play has given me a leg up.”

“We definetly needed this one,” said coach Equihua. “Our goal has been to improve every game. I’m not syaing we’re even close to being perfect but we’re eliminating some mistakes.”

CPLB NOTES: Chesterton survived six of 20 foul shooting to top CP 52-50 the night before Thanksgiving.

CP’s Katija Tarailo scored 21, including the basket that tied the game with 50 seconds to play. But Chesterton’s Kassady Scott stole the ball and fed it to Caroline Puntillo for the winning basket as time ran out.

The Lady Bulldogs led 46-40 late in the fourth quarter as Tarailo was 10 of 14 from the field.

But Chesterton, which was 8-of-12 from three-point range, used a 10-2 run to take a 50-48 lead with 1:20 left.

Crown Point’s home game this Saturday with powerful Carmel (3-2) will begin after a 12 noon junior varsity game.

The first-ever visit of the team from the 4,000-teen Hamilton County school is listed at other times on earlier schedules. CP and Carmel should take the floor for the varsity game about 1:30 p.m.

Crown Point center Taylor Equihua is not unaware of the fact that she’s not only on the floor a lot now but on the floor with much younger players.

“It’s different taking a leadership role. I’m not used to it,” she admitted Saturday. “I remember Hannah (Albrecht) at kids camp and I thought how she was so much younger than me. Now we’re on the same team in the same lineup. It’s nice.

“But I’m getting old.”

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.