Smoldering tree a victim of BBQ
By Kitty Conley email@example.com July 9, 2013 12:32PM
Updated: July 9, 2013 12:42PM
CROWN POINT — The morning of Friday, July 5, a tree in the fairgrounds was reported as smoldering, with smoke coming from the trunk.
Passersby that were doing their usual morning run before going to work were wondering if the tree had been hit by sparks from the city’s fireworks display on Thursday night, or from a private citizen’s fireworks.
According to Crown Point Fire Chief Greg DeLor, someone had dumped coals from a grill at the base of the tree.
Firefighters had extinguished the fire.