Is cosmetic surgery needed for teens?
By Dr. Robert Wallace ’Tween 12 and 20 December 10, 2012 11:52AM
Updated: January 12, 2013 6:06AM
Teens: I’m often asked if cosmetic surgery is appropriate for a teenager. Celebrity admiration, resulting from television shows, movies and videos, has influenced teens to seek and endure cosmetic surgery without hesitation or acknowledgment of risks. However, cosmetic procedure is still a medical process and should be treated as such, especially by teens.
How can parents know if and when a cosmetic procedure is appropriate for their teen? Dr. Roy G. Geronemus, director of the Laser and Skin Surgery Center of New York and a past president of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, cautions that “No matter what procedure the teen desires, precautions must be considered to ensure a safe and successful outcome.” He offers the following advice for making informed decisions regarding cosmetic procedures:
1. Do carefully review all reasons why cosmetic surgery is desired.
2. Do use alternative methods to avoid unnecessary procedures.
3. Do make sure procedures are safe and effective for teens under 18.
4. Do choose a certified dermasurgeon to perform/supervise the procedure.
1. Don’t undergo a cosmetic procedure on a whim.
2. Don’t rely on a procedure to increase popularity.
3. Don’t think a procedure is risk-free.
4. Don’t view cosmetic surgery as a solution to a larger issue.
Write to Dr. Wallace