Even good parents can’t prevent pet accidents
July 5, 2013 1:36PM
Updated: August 8, 2013 6:43AM
Responsible dog owners do their best to plan ahead, think of every possible situation before it happens and endeavor to keep their animals safe.
However, despite the best of circumstances, accidents can happen. Indeed, that’s why these unexplained and usually undesirable events are called accidents.
Yesterday, Cynthea Steingast’s dog, Lloyd, was hit by a car. Cynthea was walking him on Cumberland Crossing in Valparaiso, a walking trail on the north side of town surrounded by artwork.
Lloyd was leashed and wearing a harness. Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted a very attractive female terrier strolling with her owner and enjoying the sounds and sights of Cumberland Drive.
He bolted, and in the process, tore his red harness in two. He sped across the street and was hit by a car that was not speeding.
Luckily, Lloyd rolled under the car and, at the end of the day, was able to walk away from this accident.
Lucy, the cute terrier dog, is owned by Kim Juhlin, DVM from Vale Park Animal Hospital. Lloyd was admitted there for observations and X-rays.
There’s a new West Highland terrier puppy in town named Sampson.
His owner, Don McAuliffe, has been very careful with Sammy but despite this caution, Sammy has wiggled out of his owner’s arms, somersaulted to the ground, jumped out of the truck and hung by his leash, fallen off the dock into the lake and was pinned by another dog when double crated in a car.
Michele Czarnecki, owner of Czarcrest, a Schererville breeder of West highland terriers, tells this sad story. One of her little white pups found a loving home with responsible pet parents until a day when the pup was sitting under a computer desk, chewed an electrical cord, and was immediately electrocuted.
Baby gates, also known as safety gates, are commonly used to confine puppies to “safe” areas in the home.
A breeder of German shepherds in Winwood, Ariz. shares a recent horrific experience. One of her nine week old pups got his head lodged in the opening of the gate and was strangled.
Just last week Pom-tini, a cocky black and white animated, extroverted rescue dog, had a very bad experience when I was writing my “Ollie” column.
He stuck his nose where it clearly didn’t belong by curling up on the printer table. Then I hit the “print” button, and his tail fur got caught in the mechanism under the printer where the copies come out. It was horrible.
Lloyd is fine and walked away from the car accident with nothing more than a torn back paw nail.
Sammy is still bopping around but has learned the lake is not a place he ever wants to be again.
The Pom Tini still posts himself on the table with the printer but when the printer makes a sound, he jumps off the table and finds another spot to sit.
I leave you with this thought. Bad things will happen to good pet parents and their pets, accidents are just part of life.