Inmate hospitalized after LaPorte jail fire
July 5, 2013 11:48AM
A charred mattress lays on the ground as LaPorte City firefighters exit the LaPorte County Jail as LaPorte County Police start to investigate a fire in one of the jail cells that sent one inmate to the hospital Thursday July 4, 2013 in LaPorte, IN. Marzano R. Shelly was taken to the hospital for possible smoke inhalation. (AP Photo/LaPorte Herald Argus, Bob Wellinski)
Updated: July 5, 2013 9:36PM
LAPORTE (AP) — Authorities say a jail inmate was taken to a hospital after a fire in his cell.
The fire at the LaPorte County Jail happened Thursday afternoon. Sheriff’s Maj. John Boyd says firefighters were called to the jail but the fire was quickly extinguished by deputies.
The 35-year-old inmate who was the only person in the cell was taken to a hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.
Boyd says other inmates in that part of the jail were moved to another section and that an evacuation wasn’t needed. No other injuries were reported.
Authorities didn’t immediately say how the fire started but firefighters removed a charred mattress from the jail.