Second Chicago cop considering guilty plea in Latin Kings case
By Teresa Auch Schultz firstname.lastname@example.org July 24, 2012 11:22AM
Alex Guerrero, 41, former Chicago Police officer. | Provided Photo~Sun-Times Media
Updated: August 26, 2012 6:12AM
A second former Chicago police officer appears likely to plead guilty to using his position to steal drugs, guns and money for the Latin Kings street gang in Northwest Indiana and Illinois, according to a motion filed Monday in the U.S. District Court in Hammond.
Kevin Milner, attorney for Alexander Guerrero, filed the motion to ask for two more weeks to file a plea agreement, originally due Monday.
The motion says Guerrero has reached a deal “in principal” with federal attorneys but they need more time to work out details.
Guerrero and another Chicago police officer, Antonio Martinez Jr., were charged last year with taking part in the racketeering conspiracy of the Latin Kings by robbing numerous people and turning over the stolen goods to Latin Kings leaders. In return, they were paid tens of thousands of dollars, according to an indictment.
Martinez said during his change of plea hearing last year that co-defendant Sisto Bernal, who also pleaded guilty, would give them orders to shake down competing drug dealers and rival gang members by using their badges to coerce their way into homes and to pull over vehicles.
In one case, the two police officers helped steal drugs from a warehouse in Rockford, Ill. The two men also robbed numerous homes in Lake County, including the home of James Walsh in December 2006, a few months before he was shot and killed outside a Griffith restaurant.
Members of the Latin Kings are charged in Walsh’s death, which prosecutors say was in retaliation for the killing of the brother of Latin Kings member and Highland resident Alexander Vargas.
Guerrero was still working as a police officer when he was arrested last year.