Realtor burned in house explosion dies
by Lori Caldwell firstname.lastname@example.org | 648-3258 October 9, 2012 5:44PM
Updated: November 11, 2012 6:26AM
GARY — The Realtor critically burned in a house explosion almost seven months ago died Tuesday.
Patricia Conforti, 52, a real estate agent with RE/MAX Integrity Group, suffered burns over most of her body as she flipped a light switch at a vacant house in Glen Park in mid-March.
Conforti was flown to Loyola Medical Center’s burn unit in Maywood, Ill., where she was placed in an induced coma.
A spokesman for the Chicago medical examiner said an autopsy would be completed Wednesday. A final ruling on the manner of death has not been determined.
Investigators learned that a NIPSCO employee was at the house at 520 E. 52nd Ave. that morning to turn on the utilities. About 3:30 p.m., Conforti arrived to show the house to a family interested in buying the home. She turned on a light, which apparently ignited a natural gas explosion.
No criminal charges have been filed in the incident.
Conforti was a resident of Hobart.