Hobart city planner resigning
By Karen Caffarini Post-Tribune correspondent December 23, 2012 5:04PM
A.J. Bytnar Hobart City Planner. | File Photo~Sun-Times Media ptmet
Updated: December 30, 2012 7:26PM
HOBART — City Council members said their last public goodbyes last week to city planner A. J. Bytnar, who announced he is resigning from office effective Jan. 4.
Bytnar, who has been in office for three years, said he is returning to Ball State University, where he received his bachelor’s degree, to further his education.
He replaced former city planner Sergio Mendoza in August 2009.
“I always wanted to continue my education,” Bytnar said after the City Council meeting Wednesday night.
He said he will receive a certificate in real estate development, which he said he has been involved in with his father for a number of years. The building at 3rd and Main that houses the newly opened Von’s Victorian Bakery Tea Room Cafe is one they have renovated.
Mayor Brian Snedecor thanked Bytnar for his service to the community.
“You took our planning department to where it needed to go,” Snedecor said.
Councilman John Brezik, D-5th, who also chairs the plan commission, said Bytnar will be sorely missed by the commission, which works closely with Bytnar on projects.
“It will be very hard and difficult to replace you,” Brezik said.
Bytnar will leave office the day after the next plan commission meeting, on Jan. 3.
During his tenure with the city, Bytnar has taken an active role in the Hobart Marsh Plan, which was recently approved by the City Council. The plan would involve the creation of hiking trails and waterways on a huge parcel on the west side of Hobart.
A kayaker himself, Bytnar also worked to find an operator who would rent kayaks at Lake George.
Bytnar is a resident of the Miller section of Gary.