Sewer separation work in Crown Point continues
By Carrie Napoleon Post-Tribune correspondent January 9, 2013 5:04PM
Updated: February 15, 2013 6:08AM
CROWN POINT — More than a $1 million in storm water separation work intended to keep the city ahead of the $36 million unfunded state mandate requiring it has been approved.
The Board of Works and Public Safety last week approved contracts for two more projects on the city’s sanitary sewer system that will help prevent storm water infiltration and in the long run reduce the overall cost of a 2007 Indiana Department of Environmental Management consent decree requiring the separation of the two by 2018.
Tris Miles, city engineer, said the project will be done in two divisions because the work is different and specialized. Division A includes lining all the city’s manholes. Six bids were received for the work and low bidder Culy Contracting Inc. of Winchester, Ind., was awarded the contract at a cost of $515,170.
Work in Division B includes replacing the parts of the sanitary sewer line that were found to be defective during smoke testing of the system conducted in 2011. Grimmer Construction of Griffith was awarded the contract, which includes five of six alternates, for the amount of $580,004.
Miles said every time the city does work on the sewer system it renegotiates its position with IDEM.
“This puts us ahead of the curve,” Miles said.
The end result of the mandate is a new waste water treatment facility in the city. Each project that reduces the storm water infiltration will ultimately end up reducing the size of the treatment facility needed and the overall cost of the work for the city.
Mayor David Uran said the work is being paid for with money from the state revolving loan fund. Uran said the city was one of only two municipalities in the state to qualify for a 0.5 reduction in interest rate to about 1.8 percent because of its “green” LEED-style initiatives.