posttrib
SPOTTY 
Weather Updates

Woman dies following Newton County house fire

Updated: April 3, 2013 6:13AM



LAKE VILLAGE — A woman died from smoke inhalation Friday morning after a fire started in her home in the 5000 block of Indiana 10 in Newton County.

Darlene Denton, 71, was found in the house at 5285 W. Indiana 10, and transported to St. Anthony Hospital in Crown Point. She died about 7:12 a.m., according to the Lake County Coroner’s Office. The death was ruled accidental.

The Lake Township Volunteer Fire Department received a call from Denton around 5:25 a.m. and arrived at the scene at 5:40 a.m.

“She was in the house in the living room when we found her,” Fire Chief Matt Rigby said.

CPR was performed as she was transported, Rigby said, but attempts to revive her were unsuccessful.

The blaze was caused by a faulty power vent on the water heater in the basement, according to investigators with the Indiana State Fire Marshal’s Office working with Lake Township firefighters.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.