Man admits role in East Chicago homicide
Post-Tribune staff report May 8, 2013 4:02PM
A fourth man charged in a July homicide in East Chicago has pleaded guilty and agreed to testify against others charged in the case.
Chauncey Hackett Jr., 22, of East Chicago, admitted that he lied to police investigators after Daviante Dunham was killed in the parking lot of Building 38 on the 3500 block of Guthrie Street, East Chicago. Hackett pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice and faces six months to three years at his Sept. 12 sentencing hearing.
In court on Wednesday, Hackett admitted that on July 21, 2012, he was with co-defendants Nathan Kincaid, 30; Uther Kincaid, 29; Cameo Q. Samuels, 30; and Fabian D. Villagomez, 29, when a fight broke out between his group and Dunham, Tyra Taylor and Anthony Monroe. Numerous other people also were involved.
The physical altercation continued as Dunham was struck and fell unconscious to the ground. Villagomez, Samuels and Nathan Kincaid left the area, and Hackett and another individual stayed behind.
Hackett saw Quinton Webb come back into the parking area. Webb told Hackett to leave. After that, Hackett said he saw Webb shoot Dunham. A short time later, Hackett saw Webb wearing a different shirt.
Webb, 27, of East Chicago, was charged last week with murder on the same day Nathan Kincaid, Samuels and Villagomez pleaded guilty.
Dunham was shot in the back of the head.
Lake Superior Court Judge Thomas Stefaniak Jr., approved a bond reduction motion similar to that of the three other men who pleaded guilty last week that allows him to be released to electronic monitoring.
Uther Kincaid is a fugitive and hasn’t been arrested on the murder charge.