posttrib
UPBEAT 
Weather Updates

Charges filed in BB gun shooting at Hobart DQ

David Cotto

David Cotto

storyidforme: 48995447
tmspicid: 18217097
fileheaderid: 8188910

Updated: June 11, 2013 6:38AM



HOBART — An 18-year-old Hobart man was charged Thursday with shooting a BB gun out of his car Tuesday night as he drove past the downtown Dairy Queen on Main Street.

David C. Cotto faces charges of criminal recklessness and criminal mischief, both Class D felonies.

No one was injured in the shooting. Cotto’s air pistol shattered the outer pane of two of the restaurant’s windows, but the inner pane wasn’t damaged.

Cotto, a high school dropout, told police it was a “stupid mistake” and he wasn’t targeting anyone, Detective Sgt. Jeremy Ogden said.

Cotto and three other people — an 18-year-old man and two 15-year-old girls — were arrested when police pulled over their gray Oldsmobile near South Lake Park Avenue and Laura Lane shortly after the 8:30 p.m. incident. Another juvenile female had been dropped off before they were pulled over.

Ogden credited a police perimeter and specific vehicle description with aiding in the quick apprehension of the suspects.

BB cartridges were found in a passenger side compartment and the gun was located in the trunk.

Cotto said that one of the females was egging him on to shoot the gun. Two of the girls could face charges as a result.

In May 2011, Cotto went missing for a week from his Merrillville home before police located him Lansing, Ill. His family told police he suffered from bipolar and oppositional defiant disorders, and he left without money or medications.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.