posttrib
ALOOF 
Weather Updates

1,600 receive degrees at Ivy Tech’s 50th commencement

Physical therapy professor Victor Obajuluwgets hug from student Eileen Markanich just before start Commencement for Ivy Tech Genesis Center Gary

Physical therapy professor Victor Obajuluwa gets a hug from student Eileen Markanich just before the start of Commencement for Ivy Tech at the Genesis Center in Gary, Ind. Saturday May 11, 2013. Graduates from Ivy Tech's campuses in Gary, East Chicago, Valparaiso and Michigan City gathered to celebrate their achievements before a crowd of family and friends. | Stephanie Dowell~Post-Tribune

storyidforme: 49087880
tmspicid: 18255445
fileheaderid: 8207575

Honorary
degrees

Kris Emaus, NiSource, member of the regional Board of Trustees for Ivy Tech Northwest

Norman Steider, former president and CEO of Memorial Hospital of Michigan City

Tom Keilman, director of public and government affairs at BP, Whiting Operation

Sgt. Louis T. Stewart, ROTC instructor, volunteer at Ivy Tech Community College Northwest

Other honors

Distinguished Alumni Award: Melissa Osika, Valparaiso, a 2009 graduate

Distinguished Graduate Award: Eileen Markanich, physical therapy assistant

President’s Award for Excellence in Instruction: Marsha Eriks, surgical technology program chairwoman

Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: June 13, 2013 7:26PM

GARY — A record number of students marched across the Genesis Center stage Saturday as Ivy Tech Community College marked its milestone 50th anniversary.

Ivy Tech Northwest handed out associate degrees and technical certificates to 1,598 students.

The students came from campuses in Gary, Valparaiso, East Chicago and Michigan City.

For many, such as Gary’s Joshua Lipscomb, 24, it represented a long journey toward a dream. A 2007 Wirt High graduate, Lipscomb has always wanted to work on cars.

Sickle cell anemia threatened that dream. His mother, Gwendolyn Lipscomb said her son was born with the disease and it forced him to take time off his studies. “With financial aid and through the prayers of the church and pastor, he finally is getting his automotive technology degree,” she said.

Lipscomb said he just got a job at a Toyota dealership in Merrillville as an oil changer. “I hope to move up from there. A dealership is where I wanted to be and I accomplished my goal.”

Jaclyn Fultz, 22, of Chesterton, received a degree in criminal justice. She plans to continue studies in law enforcement at Valparaiso University on a scholarship.

“It’s the biggest achievement done, I’ve gone through a lot of struggles but my family was behind me.”

Verenice Clopton, of Hammond, turned to Ivy Tech in 2010 after she was laid off from her job of 22 years in customer service at Landaur Inc., in Glenwood, Ill.

“Today is wonderful. I graduated from high school 40 years ago with honors and now I’m doing the same today.”

The graduates included four mothers and daughters.

Russell Baker, Ivy Tech vice president of academic affairs, singled out the achievements of Molly and Mary Dres, a mom and daughter from Valparaiso, who each received an associate degree in respiratory care.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.