posttrib
SLIDING 
Weather Updates

Builder sees the signs, will re-do advertising

Updated: April 1, 2014 9:56AM



CROWN POINT — Olthof Homes is heading back to the drawing board with its temporary sign application after deciding there is no way to tweak the request to gain city approval.

Earlier this month, the firm had sought permission to erect 17 temporary signs in easements and at intersections to advertise the builder’s subdivisions and open houses.

But that proposal drew the ire of the Board of Public Works and Safety.

At the latest board meeting, Wednesday morning, Keith Stevens, the city’s chief of staff, said Todd Olthof with Olthof Homes is trying to develop a new way to advertise its subdivisions and open houses.

“What he proposed last meeting he knows would not be accepted (by the board),” he said.

He said Olthof asked to withdraw his pending application and would like to resubmit a new one when he devises a request for a more palatable approach.

Board members then denied the original request, paving the way for Olthof to resubmit.

Mayor David Uran said the request as originally presented caused a little “heartburn and headache” for city officials who are trying to balance the need for the developer to draw attention to potentially difficult-to-find home sites with the desire of city officials to minimize “nuisance signs” that crop up in easements.

Denying the request and simply allowing Olthof to withdraw it have the same effect: Olthof will have to apply again. However, officials hope denying the request sends a message to others who appear before the board for temporary sign approval.

“We want to send a message out there that what was presented is not something we will accept,” Uran said.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.