Fire destroys much of Bloomington veterans group post
July 17, 2013 12:46PM
A firefighter puts water on flames shooting out of the AMVETS building, Tuesday, July 16, 2013 in Bloomington, Ind. The fire had started next door. (AP Photo/Bloomington Herald-Times, Jeremy Hogan)
Updated: July 17, 2013 10:48PM
BLOOMINGTON (AP) — Fire destroyed much of a bingo hall and tavern owned by a veterans group Tuesday.
Flames shot through the roof of AMVETS Post 2000’s bar and the building’s roof collapsed.
Post employee Brenda Waltz-Kerr tells The Herald-Times about 10 people dashed from the bar after a post member opened a side door and found a wall of smoke.
Van Buren Township fire Lt. Toby Liff says the blaze started in the adjacent bingo hall, which sustained extensive smoke damage.
Firefighters also had to deal with 90-degree-plus heat while at the scene. Liff says one firefighter was taken to a hospital with heat exhaustion. No other injuries were reported.