posttrib
DISRUPTIVE 
Weather Updates

HUTTON: Scott Martin plans to play professionally in Europe

Scott MartinTom Maayan

Scott Martin,Tom Maayan

storyidforme: 51282696
tmspicid: 19072582
fileheaderid: 8625481

Updated: July 27, 2013 6:42AM



Scott Martin is waiting for the phone call.

Martin is back in Valparaiso, sneaking in off-hour workouts at Valparaiso High School, while recovering from meniscus surgery in May.

He plans to play basketball in Europe, or possibly a different continent, next year. The call from some team, somewhere should come by the end of summer or perhaps sometime in September.

“That’s my plan,” he said of going to play in Europe. “My agent is taking care of sending out tape for me.”

Martin’s situation is unique. He was having the best start of his career at Notre Dame when he injured himself, he believes, against Cincinnati on Jan. 8. Martin averaged 7.9 points per game, 5.9 rebounds while shooting 46.3 percent from 3-point range before his year ended after 18 games. That means he hasn’t tested the knee in game conditions yet, though he said the knee is fine now. He is still trying to get in basketball shape.

As best he can recall, Martin, who has had three surgeries on his left knee — two of them for a torn meniscus — hurt it when he got up from sitting down during a timeout.

“That’s when I tweaked it and started complaining about it,” he said.

He tried to soldier on for four more games before Notre Dame coach Mike Brey took him out of the lineup.

He had a return date set for the Louisville game — the one that the Irish won 104-101 in five overtimes on Feb. 9 at Purcell Pavilion. But he never got healthy. Martin basically avoided the surgery as long as possible to see if his knee would get better.

Didn’t happen.

“The last month was difficult,” he said. “But they kept battling.”

Martin said he plans to play professionally in some capacity for as long as possible.

“That’s the way I view it,” he said. “You can’t look at it negatively because of the knee. I just want to be positive about it and go over there and help some team.

Martin wants to coach, likely at the college level, when he finishes playing.

Peterson won’t
shuffle the deck

Don’t expect many changes at Chesterton after Mark Peterson was hired as coach on Monday to replace John Snyder.

In a move that was about as predictable as the sun setting tonight and rising tomorrow morning, Peterson, a three-year assistant under Snyder, got the job after athletic director Garry Nallenweg went through the process of interviewing inside and outside candidates.

Truth is, it’s complicated to bring in outside guys these days, with budget issues constantly casting a long shadow over every school district in the state.

The fact that Snyder didn’t resign until last month would’ve made it trickier to reach outside the district for a coach who also needed to teach.

Peterson has coached both the running backs and the defensive line for the Trojans.

He expects to make no major changes in the offensive and defensive philosophies of the Trojans.

That means more wishbone and likely a 3-4 defense, which is what the Trojans operated with last season.

“It’ll pretty much be status quo,” he said. “That will certainly be good for the kids coming back on offense and defense.”

Peterson quit abruptly at Portage in 2009 after he took his team to the sectional championship because of what he termed “philosophical” differences with the administration.

He called Snyder’s resignation a “surprise to everyone.” The two, however, were close friends. Peterson had worked at Valparaiso University as an assistant under Tom Horne — the same job that Snyder left for. Snyder had also worked there as an assistant before he was hired at Valparaiso and then Chesterton.

Roosevelt and Thomas

Renaldo Thomas believes he’s the right guy for the Roosevelt job, even though he was let go in a teaching purge at the school. The purge cost him his coaching job.

Roosevelt has one huge problem going for all its athletic programs: instability.

A.J. Rodriguez, who called himself the interim athletic director, has held that title several times this year.

The Panthers still don’t have a football coach — and it’s not clear who would actually take the basketball job and actually do a better job than Thomas — given the very fluid conditions at the school. The Indianapolis Star reported Tuesday that Edison Learning, the for profit company that took over Roosevelt, might leave Indiana (it also operates several schools in Indianapolis) if the funding levels from a grant it lost last year aren’t restored. Edison lost $1.3 million in grant money last year after enrollment dropped at the schools it took over.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.