Ex-PBA Senior South Shore Open champion Sullins out in round of 8
By Anthony Nasella Post-Tribune correspondent August 9, 2012 11:24PM
Updated: September 11, 2012 6:25AM
HAMMOND — Even though last year’s PBA Senior South Shore Open champion Harry Sullins was eliminated in the round of eight by Rick Minier, it turned out to be the highest finish of the senior season for the Chesterfield Township, Mich., resident.
To reach the round of eight, Sullins defeated Patrick King, 2001 runner-up Charlie Tapp and PBA Hall of Famer Wayne Webb in a grueling five-game match, which came down to the very last shot. Against Minier, Sullins was defeated 258-204 and 234-163.
“I got through practice, and thought I had a really good look,” Sullins said. “But I had to change to a low rev ball in order to keep it in play, and the shot didn’t quite work. I just didn’t have enough strikes. It’s kind of hard to win when you’re opponent is striking.”
Adjustments: Two-time winner at Olympia Lanes Mark Williams, in his 258-209, 245-236 defeat to Hall of Famer Tom Baker, said he had a struggle with the left lane that he was unable to overcome.
“I have a lot more heavy roll on the ball, so when the lanes are hooking it’s going to affect me more,” the Beaumont, Texas, native said. “Tom just adjusted better, and I didn’t adjust.”
Tough exit: Hammond’s Kenny Parks was gunning for his first finals appearance at Olympia, but he fell to Mike Diaz in the round of 32 in four games. The games Parks bowled (219, 200, 263, 207) kept him close, but in the end he was devastated during one game by a pair of tough splits.
“I left back-to-back 7-10 splits,” Parks said. “I just didn’t bowl as good as Mike did. I was playing inside and he was playing toward the gutter, and I actually liked where he was playing better.”